This website is operated by British American Tobacco South Africa Proprietary Limited. Please read these terms and conditions of use (“conditions of use”) carefully. By accessing this website you agree to be bound by them. If you do not agree to be bound by these conditions of use you should not access or view this website.
To make these conditions of use easier to read, we use a few definitions. The terms “British American Tobacco South Africa”, “we”, “us” and “our” are used to refer to British American Tobacco South Africa Proprietary Limited.
The terms “British American Tobacco”, “the Group” and “The British American Tobacco Group” are used to refer to British American Tobacco p.l.c. and the group of companies constituting its direct and indirect subsidiaries worldwide, including British American Tobacco South Africa.
Any enquiries or complaints which you have in relation to this website should be made either by using the Contact us facility or be addressed to the Legal and External Affairs Department of British American Tobacco South Africa Proprietary Limited, 25 Du Toit Street, Stellenbosch, 7600.
About this website
The website enables you to obtain information about the illegal cigarette trade in South Africa and the consequences of the illegal trade on the Impact page and the Difference page and report illegal cigarette trade by submitting the form on the Report page.
When submitting a report you must submit information that is true and accurate. You may not submit false information or information which is in any way harmful, obscene or offensive or infringes another person’s intellectual property rights.
The information, materials and data provided on this website are for general information purposes. They do not directly or indirectly constitute investment advice nor are they an invitation, offer, solicitation, inducement or recommendation to acquire or dispose of any investment or to engage in any other transaction in the companies mentioned, including investing in shares or other securities, or any other products or services or otherwise dealing in these or entering into a contract with British American Tobacco South Africa or any other company.
The information, materials and data provided should not be relied upon in connection with any investment decision. They may contain forward-looking statements regarding the performance and financial condition of British American Tobacco South Africa or any other company. However, the past performance of British American Tobacco South Africa or any other company referred to on the website cannot be relied upon as a guide to its future performance. Actual results may differ materially from such forward-looking statements because of various risks, uncertainties and other factors. For example, rates of exchange may cause the value of underlying investments or products to go up or down and tax arrangements may change. All stock market based investment is exposed to a degree of risk and the price of shares and the income derived from them can go down as well as up and investors may not recoup the amount originally invested. You should always seek appropriate professional advice in relation to such matters.
Please see also the general disclaimer of liability under paragraph 8 of the section headed ‘General Provisions’ below.
a) Information we collect about you and our use of your information
When you visit our website or submit a report we may ask you for information about yourself, including your name, address, email address and other information. We use this information to provide you with information you request, to reply to your queries or to deal with reports as described in the “About this website” section above.
In addition to the information you provide, we may also collect information about you and your use of our website through the use of automatic data collection tools. These tools collect certain standard information about your access and computer, such as your browser type, operating system and language, access times and your Internet Protocol (IP) address. We use the information for statistical reporting and do not link it to any named individuals.
British American Tobacco South Africa will not intentionally collect any information about visitors to this website who are under eighteen years of age. If British American Tobacco South Africa becomes aware that a child has provided any information this will immediately be deleted from British American Tobacco South Africa’s records.
We only keep your information for as long as is necessary for the fulfilment of those purposes for which the information has been collected or as required by law.
b) Who do we share your information with?
British American Tobacco South Africa may share your personal information in the following ways:
- From time to time your personal information may be transferred to other British American Tobacco entities worldwide or to third party agents, representatives or suppliers of British American Tobacco for the purposes of system maintenance and support.
- British American Tobacco South Africa may also be required to disclose your personal information to: (i) respond to duly authorised information requests from the police and governmental authorities; (ii) comply with any law, regulation, subpoena or court order; (iii) help prevent fraud or to enforce or protect the rights and properties of British American Tobacco or its subsidiaries; or (iv) protect the personal safety of British American Tobacco employees, third party agents or members of the public.
- Circumstances may arise where, whether for strategic or other business reasons, British American Tobacco decides to sell, buy, merge or otherwise reorganise businesses in some countries. Such a transaction may involve the disclosure of your personal information to prospective or actual purchasers, or the receipt of it from sellers. It is British American Tobacco’s practice to seek appropriate protection for personal information in these types of transactions.
We do not share, rent or trade your information with third parties for marketing or promotional purposes.
c) Accuracy of your information and your rights
British American Tobacco South Africa strives to keep your personal information accurately recorded. You have the right to obtain a copy of the information we hold about you and/or to ask us not to process your information (or not to pass your information to third parties). If you would like copies of your information, or if you would like us to correct any factual inaccuracies in that information, or if you would like that information blocked or deleted from our records, then please contact the Legal and External Affairs Department of British American Tobacco South Africa Proprietary Limited at 25 Du Toit Street, Stellenbosch or e-mail us using the details in the Contact us section of this website.
d) How do we keep your personal information secure?
British American Tobacco takes reasonable technical and organisational security measures to prevent the loss, misuse, alteration or unlawful disclose of information you provide to us. Any third party, agent or representative of British American Tobacco who requires access to your information is also required to implement reasonable technical and organisational security measures to protect your information.
e) Where do we transfer your information to?
Any third party, agent or representative of British American Tobacco who imports personal information in the course of providing services to British American Tobacco is required to keep that information confidential and comply with applicable national data protection laws or, where applicable, to be bound by appropriate contractual obligations that protect your personal information.
We may use web beacons, which are transparent image files on web pages and are used to monitor your journey around British American Tobacco Group websites.
However, some of the tools and content in the ‘Media’ and ‘Investors’ sections of our website are delivered by (and in some cases also hosted by) third party content providers. When you access this content, these third party providers may set cookies on your computer or mobile device.
We allow third parties to set the following cookies on this website:
|Cookie / technology
||These cookies are used to collect information about how you and other visitors use our website, which we use to help improve it. The cookies collect information in an anonymous form, including the number of visitors to the website, where visitors have come to the website from and the pages they have visited.
|How to disable / enable this cookie
||How to disable / enable this cookie To opt out of being tracked by Google Analytics across all websites, please visit: Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on
||Persistent cookie: 2 years from set/update
||Persistent cookie: 30 minutes from set/update
||Session cookie: end of user browser session
||Persistent cookie: 6 months from set/update
|Cookie / technology
||This cookie is used to remember, during a user session only, a user’s email alert preferences after he/she has registered or logged in to the relevant area of the website to change those preferences.
|How to disable / enable this cookie
||This cookie is used to remember, during a user session only, a user’s email alert preferences after he/she has registered or logged in to the relevant area of the website to change those preferences. Disable cookies coming from the ‘hsprod.investis.com’ domain in browser. Please visit How to disable cookies in your browser for further information regarding disabling this cookie.
||Session cookie: end of user browser session
||Session cookie: end of user browser session
For more information about cookies, including how to set your internet browser to reject cookies, please visit www.allaboutcookies.org.
Links to external websites
This website includes links to external websites which are subject to their own terms and conditions and privacy policies. We are not responsible for the content of these external websites and we recommend that you familiarise yourself with the terms and conditions of such sites before you submit any information about yourself. These links are provided solely for convenience to you. No endorsement of any party, products or services is expressed or implied and accordingly British American Tobacco South Africa cannot accept any liability for the accuracy of, or otherwise in relation to, any content or the security of any activity carried out on such other websites. You acknowledge and agree that we are not responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage, loss or cost caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any such content, goods or services available on such linked websites. Your use of such websites is at your sole risk.
- This website is provided to you free of charge, without any warranties or guarantees unless specifically stated. The information contained in this website is intended for general information purposes only.
- Except as expressly provided for on this website, British American Tobacco South Africa is not responsible for the content or use of any web pages or any messages sent or received by you.
- All copyright, trademarks, and other intellectual property rights used as part of this website are vested in British American Tobacco South Africa and / or its licensors. You acquire no rights in the website other than the limited right to use the website in accordance with these conditions of use. You may not offer for sale or sell or distribute over any medium, any part of this website or its content. However, you are permitted to print out or download information and content from this website for your own personal, non-commercial use only. Other than as stated in these conditions of use, you may not make any part of the website available as part of another website, whether by scraping, crawling, hyperlink framing on the Internet or otherwise unless you have been authorised to do so in writing by British American Tobacco South Africa.
- You shall not use this website for any illegal purposes and in particular agree that you shall not send, use, copy, post or allow any posting which is defamatory or obscene or which is abusive, indecent or in breach of the privacy of any person. You agree not to send any unsolicited promotional or advertising material, spam or similar materials or any volume messages which may interfere with the operation of this website or with the enjoyment of this website by other visitors.
- British American Tobacco South Africa reserves the right at any time and without notice to enhance, modify, alter, suspend or permanently discontinue all or any part of this website and to restrict or prohibit access to it.
- You hereby agree to indemnify British American Tobacco South Africa against any costs, claims, losses and damages (including legal fees) incurred by or awarded against British American Tobacco South Africa as a result of your misuse of this website or your breach of these conditions of use.
- If you are in breach of these conditions of use British American Tobacco South Africa may suspend or block your access to this website and refuse to provide you with any further access to it.
- The website contains information obtained from researchers and third parties. We endeavour to ensure the accuracy of all information displayed on the website, but do not guarantee, give any warranties or and make any representations as to the accuracy, timeliness or completeness of any information or material on the website.
- We do not warrant that the website is compatible with your computer equipment or software, that the website is free from all errors and viruses or any other harmful software or devices that have the ability to corrupt your computer and the performance or availability of the website.
- BRITISH AMERICAN TOBACCO SOUTH AFRICA PUBLISHES THIS WEBSITE “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE” WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, AS TO THE OPERATION OF THE WEBSITE, THE ACCURACY OF THE INFORMATION OR THE PRODUCTS OR SERVICES REFERRED TO ON THE WEBSITE (IN SO FAR AS SUCH WARRANTIES MAY BE EXCLUDED UNDER ANY RELEVANT LAW). EXCEPT IN THE CASE OF PERSONAL INJURY OR DEATH CAUSED BY ITS NEGLIGENCE OR FOR FRAUD, TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, NEITHER BRITISH AMERICAN TOBACCO SOUTH AFRICA NOR ANY OTHER COMPANY IN THE BRITISH AMERICAN TOBACCO GROUP (INCLUDING ITS DIRECTORS, PRINCIPALS, AGENTS OR EMPLOYEES) SHALL BE LIABLE FOR ANY LOSSES OR DAMAGE WHETHER IN CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE) OR OTHERWISE AND WHETHER DIRECT OR INDIRECT (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION DIRECT OR INDIRECT LOSS OF PROFITS), CONSEQUENTIAL, INCIDENTAL OR SPECIAL THAT MAY RESULT FROM ACCESS OR USE OF THIS WEBSITE, HOWSOEVER ARISING. YOUR SOLE REMEDY IS TO DISCONTINUE USING THIS WEBSITE.
- If any part of these conditions of use is found to be unenforceable as a matter of law, all other parts of these conditions of use shall not be affected.
- These conditions of use govern our relationship with you and represent our entire agreement with you.
- The conditions of use and the content of this website are governed by the laws of the Republic of South Africa whose courts shall have exclusive jurisdiction.
British American Tobacco South Africa Proprietary Limited is incorporated in the Republic of South Africa.
Registered Address: 25 Du Toit Street, Stellenbosch, South Africa, 7600.
Company Registration Number: 1995/009509/07.
Telephone number: +27 (0)21 888 3500
Please send legal notices and all other correspondence in relation to this website (including any enquiries or complaints) to the Corporate and Regulatory Affairs Department of British American Tobacco South Africa, Waterway House South, No 3 Dock Road, V&A Waterfront, Cape Town.